Sunday, April 06, 2008

Book Number in 2008: 11
Book From: Owned, gave away (Early Reviewer book)
Date Started: 3/15/08
Date Finished: 4/06/08
My Rating: 3.5

Author: Kristin Hannah
Title: Firefly Lane
Series: Stand Alone Novel
Genre: Women's Fiction
Format: Trade Size Paperback
Pages: 479


My Comments:
Let me start by saying this is not the typical style I normally read... Not that it was bad, it wasn't... The characters were very likable and I found myself wanting to know more about their lives.. However that was also what bothered me. To me it seemed to be a bit drawn out, plus there didn't seem to be enough of an actual plot, and that is what usually keeps me entertained.

This is a story of a 30 year friendship between two women from when they were teens into their adult lives.. Was inspiring to watch their friendship grow stronger as they grew older.

*I read this during some emotional family difficulty and believe that might be why I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have... Maybe I will read it again someday :)


Memorable Quotes:
That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips were down, they were there, making you laugh even in your darkest hour.


Description from Publishers Weekly:
Hannah goes a little too far into Lifetime movie territory in her latest, an epic exploration of the complicated terrain between best friends-one who chooses marriage and motherhood while the other opts for career and celebrity. The adventures of poor, ambitious Tully Hart and middle-class romantic Kate Mularkey begin in the 1970s, but don't really get moving until about halfway into the book, when Tully, who claws her way to the heights of broadcast journalism, discovers it's lonely at the top, and Katie, a stay-at-home Seattle housewife, forgets what it's like to be a rebellious teen. What holds the overlong narrative together is the appealing nature of Tully and Katie's devotion to one another even as they are repeatedly tested by jealousy and ambition. Katie's husband, Johnny, is smitten with Tully, and Tully, who is abandoned by her own booze-and-drug-addled mother, relishes the adoration from Katie's daughter, Marah. Hannah takes the easy way out with an over-the-top tear-jerker ending, though her upbeat message of the power of friendship and family will, for some readers, trump even the most contrived plot twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment