Thursday, November 15, 2007

Book Number in 2007: 31
Date Started:
Nov. 11
Date Finished:
Nov. 15
My Rating:
3

Author: Cecily Von Ziegesar
Title:
Gossip Girl
Series: 1st in series
Genre:
YA
Format:
Trade Size Paperback
Pages:
201

Book From:
Library
Why I Read it:
Been enjoying the new show on The CW

My Comments:
Well as usual when books are made into film, the film is very different .. But in this case I'm not really sure which I like better. They were different, but good in their own ways.

When it comes to Serena's character, I will say it's the show I like better.. only because in the show the character we seem to identify most with is Serena, and she is a bit of a snob yes, but she's pleasant and nicer about it... But in the book, even though Serena is also the main character she comes off in such a way that I know if she were real I wouldn't like her very much! She is an all around bitchy snob.. but since this is the main focus of the story I guess I shall let that slide ;)

All in all I enjoyed the story and will read more from the series eventually (I will probably wait a bit though, since the differences confused me with the show last night!)

The only real problem I have with this book is the fact that it is considered a Young Adult book (which I understand to be high school age teens) But in my opinion, I really don't think it should be considered a YA book.
The kids in this book are between the ages 14-17 and all of them are handed alcoholic drinks by parents and are also served drinks in bars/clubs/restaurants without even checking for IDs. Now I'm not from the rich society, but I don't see how this could actually be true. And the fact that it is considered "cool" along with all the sex talk, drugs taken, curse words and cool attitude about eating disorders, it just seems wrong to me and I don't understand why the book is considered good teen reading?

OK I will jump off that soap box now and climb off my high horse too ;)
What do I know, I don't have any children, let alone a teen.



Memorable Quotes:
This quote probably wouldn't have struck me as funny if I hadn't had an hour long argument with one of my closet friends last week about this exact same thought.

Blair Waldorf had this to say when her mother told her to eat her eggs at the breakfast table:
"I don't eat chicken abortions," she said stubbornly. "They make me gag."



Description from the publisher:
Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side where my friends and I live, and go to school, and play, and sleep- sometimes with each other. We all live in huge apartments with our own bedrooms and bathrooms and phone lines. We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, we have fantastic clothes, and we know how to party. . .

Introducing Gossip Girl, a wickedly funny and risquè novel about the provocative lives of New York City's most prestigious private school young adults. Gossip Girl herself is an anonymous narrator with the ultimate insider scoop on the inner-workings of this privileged society because she's one of them. Sharp wit, intriguing characters, and high stakes melodrama drive the action of this addictive novel that will make Gossip Girl the lit world's new "it" girl.

In Gossip Girl, when the beautiful Serena van der Woodsen returns to private school after mysteriously getting kicked out of boarding school, the whole school is talking. All Blair Waldorf knows is that there's no freaking way Serena's going to just waltz back in with her Jimmy Choo mules and Kate Spade bag and steal everyone's heart again. But Serena's got other things on her mind, like college pressure and living up to everyone else's extreme expectations. Plus there's that Ryan Phillippe-looking guy who stands across the street and stares at her all the time.

It's going to be a wild and wicked year, I can smell it.

Love, Gossip Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment