Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Book Number in 2007: 29
Date Finished: 10/23
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Author: Carolyn G. Hart
Title: Death on Demand
Series Number: 1
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 195

Book From: Own
Why I Read it: Read with my friend Jackie as a Buddy read



My Comments:
For me, the beginning of this book didn't have enough information... For the first few chapters I felt like I was missing something.. like someone tore out pages from my book or something! Of course they did not and in the end it did mostly come together, but I almost didn't stick it out at all. And if that wasn't bad enough, I also had trouble with all of the mentions of past books and characters by many authors that I have never read or even heard of. This had me once again feeling as if I was missing something. And to top off all the feelings of being "dumb" were the use of words that were not quite common. I have nothing to against authors expanding their vocabulary a bit.. however if I'm reading a book I need to look words up from every page (sometimes a few each page) is very distracting. This didn't continue after the first 35 pages or so and once past that I accepted the other issues and enjoyed the story :)
I really liked the characters of Annie and Max and I do look forward to trying more books from the series soon.



Memorable Quotes:
"She had a sign at the front of the store, of course, that said NO Food, NO Drinks Except for coffee in the Rear. It was fascinating that people who seemed to be shopping for books were apparently selective in their reading skills."


Description from the publisher:
At Annie Laurance's Death On Demand bookstore on Broward's Rock Island, South Carolina, murder most foul suddenly isn't confined to the well-stocked shelves. Author Elliot Morgan's abrupt demise during a weekly gathering of famous mystery writers called the Sunday Night Regulars is proof positive that a bloody sword is sometimes mightier than a brilliant pen. With Annie in the unenviable position of primary police suspect, the pretty young mystery maven and her wealthy paramour, Max Darling, embark on an investigation into a classic locked-room mystery with high stakes. For failing to unmask a brutal and ingenious killer could mean prison for Ms. Laurance. While success could mean her death.

No comments:

Post a Comment