Thursday, November 03, 2005

Book #32 in 2005
Finished: 11/01
Title: Catering to Nobody
Author: Diane Mott Davidson
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Format: Mass Market
Pages: 301
My Rating: 3/5

This is the first book in the series, I read the 2nd book first "Dying For Chocolate" by mistake. However reading this one second has given me more insight to some of the characters. And left me wondering how the 2 books could be so different.

This first book didn't have a "cozy" feel to it at all. There were descriptions of the crime and other parts that seemed too vivid.

I also am not sure how I feel about how Goldy talks to Arch, her 11 year old son. In this story Arch's teacher (and friend) Laura has been found dead with slit wrists in her bathtub... Goldy shares a lot of details and asks for her sons opinions on this matter.. To me an 11 year old should not hear such things. Then I guess playing all those killing video games and watching horror movies is the same, but this was details of someone he actually knew so it just seemed harsh to me.

At Laura's funeral, Arch's Grandfather (Golds ex-husbands father) was poisoned and Goldy's catering business was shut down during the investigation.

I did enjoy the recipes and cooking as with other Cozy Mysteries and really enjoyed seeing the start of the relationship between Goldy and the detective on the case Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment