Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Book #20 in 2005
Finished: 8/17
Title: Soapsuds
Author: Finola Hughes
Genre: Chick Lit
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 373
My Rating: 3/5


Well, let me start by saying why I choose to read this book.. I've been a long time fan of both General Hospital and All My Children, Finola Hughes has played in both these soaps as the character of Anna Devane.

However, I found myself waiting for the big story to start the entire time I was reading this. It wasn't that it was horrible or anything, but I think it could have been much better and wasn't really want I was expecting.

The story is about Kate McPhee, a woman from London who moved to USA after finding her best friend and boyfriend having an affair.

She became part of the cast of a soap opera called Live For Tomorrow as a lesbian detective. It was really interesting to see how the behind the scenes of a soap opera is run... And this story showed us how it would feel to suddenly be the hottest new face on daytime television and showed us how she handled learning the lines for the taping, the long hours on the set each day, the photo shoots, the public appearances and yet still try and manage having somewhat of a personal life.

While watching the soaps after reading this book, I could actually see how things might have been behind the scenes that day! LOL
But seriously, I've gained a lot of respect for the actors/actresses on the shows .. Especially the women since the need to be "beautiful" on a soap is so strong.

One of the characters in the book is a cast member on Live For Tomorrow, Meredith Contini.... she's been a head actress for many years and was used to always getting her way when it came to makeup, hair and even casting changes.... I couldn't help but wonder if these issues were a reference to some of the actresses on the shows these days. I was seeing a bit of Susan Lucci (AMC- Erica Kane) in her character in the book! LOL I'm sure it was done all in fun, but it sure did give me a whole new perspective on the shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment